Monday, November 30, 2009

Sick Sissy

The beginning of November, we had a curve ball thrown at us. We had been to Oklahoma the weekend before for Marley's birthday and had run most of that weekend....birthday party, football game, etc. Kate caught a little cold. Sunday night when we put Kate to bed...we could hear her coughing down the hall. Around 1:30 am she woke up and was so congested, coughing and having trouble breathing. I tried to get her to go back to sleep with me....but she just couldn't relax. Around 3 am I called the pediatrician. She advised us to do steam in the shower and see if we could clear up her chest that way. For the next 2 hours we went back and forth in between the shower and bed. Kate kept saying "more steam momma more steam!" and then we would get in there and she would yell "put me down...wanna lay down". She was so tired and exhausted she didn't know what she wanted! At almost 5 am...I told Ty "let's go to the ER"...we can't help her right now...she was ballistic and we were exhausted.

I just held her on my lap on the way there. I knew we were NOT going to be able to get her in the carseat. She fell asleep with me holding her on the car ride. Pooped baby! She was much more calm once we got there. Until...... They wanted to do a breathing treatment. She got all worked up. She slapped and swatted at the poor respiratory tech guy and was yelling at him. Ty and I were mostly laughing at this point because it was so wild. Then the nurse (who had actually been our nurse just 5 weeks ago when we came in the the allergic reaction) came in and said they were going to need to do an IV and they were going to admit her. Her Oxygen levels were not where they needed to be and she was going to need to be on breathing treatments every 3 hours and O2 when she was resting. Ugh! I didn't know it was this bad! We pleaded with them to not do the IV. We couldn't imagine they were going to be able to get her to hold still for that. Well.....they assured me they would. Which made me pretty scared and mad to hear them say that. But then I had to step back and think....they are just doing their job. So they "swaddled" her in a sheet and left only her arm hanging out. I was right there holding her head close to me....which was bright red and screaming bloody murder. Aweful experience! She was so mad! But she perked up a little when they attached her to the .....what I called a "Robot"! If your child is ever on an IV....Robot is a great alternative name!!! And then they came in with a little wheel chair to take her upstairs and they told her she got to take a ride. This was definitely the highlight of her day. She was very happy on the ride up!

Now she HATED that black little pad on her arm....until mommy thought of another good use of words to change the way she looked at it! They had it on there to keep her from messing with the IV...and since she knew about the IV and wasn't happy about it...it was a very good idea. My mom...Kate's Boopi...had broke her arm just a few months ago and recently got her cast off. I told Kate "it was like Boopi's arm"...and then she was OK with it!!!! Ahhhhh thank you very much!

Finally...resting well after several breathing treatments. You could tell she was still "working" to breath but not quite the same struggle that she was doing before.

Here she is sleeping with her new pink kitty from Trevor. Thank you so much Yost family! The balloon and kitty came at such a great time! It made her so happy! Look at the little red toe on her. I thought that was so cute!

Kate's Robot! She actually became quite fond of him! We took him down to the fish tank on the second day....yes....we were actually there until Thursday around noon! (Which we had planes to catch to NYC that morning....Ty went ahead and went since he had a business dinner....but we had to re-book for later!)

Do you see ELMO??? Ha ha ha The little tiny hospital gowns.... She was pretty normal the second day! We watched a lot of movies and they had toys that we were able to bring over for her to play with. I was exhausted...the night before I had to hold this Oxygen tube over her mouth/nose the entire night. When she would lay down and relax, her Oxygen numbers kept falling. I kept dozing off and wouldn't let the hose fall a bit and an alarm would go off because her numbers were falling again. Oops...that happened over and over. Ty saved me the next day though...well....I mean through it all he was great. He was with us both days...but went home to sleep. So on Wednesday I went home and slept and showered for a few hours. It made a world a difference!

And by Thursday...she was practically back to normal...just had a bit of a cough....but she even pushed her own stuff all the way out to the car! So glad she is ok! It would be so hard to have a sick baby. This was hard and it was just a few days. Thank you God for our healthy girl!!!

2 comments:

Ward World said...

I'm sorry she had to go through that! I'm glad she's feeling better!!

RyAnn Thompson said...

Ahhh, that was so sad...glad she is feeling better and back to normal. Hope you guys enjoy your trip to NY!!! It will be a blast!